Attention seeking ?

kerbut

im suicial - ive jsut taken an overdose - ive got two children and im a single mum please can someone help me im on the verge of taking more talets - ive had a letter from a solicitor about deposit protection wanting an out of court settlement for over 4,000 when the tenant was in over 4,000 in arrears and left the property im at my wits end i really am - im a sinlge mum with two small children and it was all deal with by the estate agent and i have contacted them , i didnt deal with the deposit they did it all -

Help

Whilst I don't want to appear any less caring than I am or give the impression that I lack sympathy or empathy, it's probably the right time to point out the hole that many landlords fall into.

The rental industry and landlords in particular do not exist to provide a social service for anyone who can't or won't take responsibility for their own actions. I've seen it so many times where landlords will bend over backwards and almost bankrupt themselves after taking sympathy on a tenants plight. 

My advice is never, ever get drawn in. Whilst it's very commendable to adopt a Christian attitude to help others.......and we have all done our bit, however small, it's important to look at the bigger picture to determine where it's likely to end.

Remember it's a business, don't dig a hole for yourself.

How true.    I will always go the extra mile to help any person out provided they are prepared to initially help themselves but I do know where that fine line of helping someone out and becoming an unpaid branch member of social services lies.

3 hours ago, Melboy said:

How true.    I will always go the extra mile to help any person out provided they are prepared to initially help themselves but I do know where that fine line of helping someone out and becoming an unpaid branch member of social services lies.

I will second that.

To my mind these things are a judgement call. More often basing the call on your experience of the person is the basis of the decision.

From a business point we don't want to be too swift to hoof a T that may well come right, but then don't want to be slow and suffer greater losses than might be be acting faster.

I don't follow the route of guarantee insurance but do generally have a guarantor. that can help me be more relaxed some times if a feel confindent they could satisfy any claim.

Considering T's can call on Shelter, CAB and Housing Enforcement I wouldn't be too judgemental of a LL that acts defensively, and then maybe denies a genuine case any sympathy.

Archived