British rental homes complying with safety rules

Grampa

Considering the serious implications of carbon monoxide poisoning from a faulty boiler/flue I am amazed that the % rate is not far higher for landlord's gas safety certificate.  The punishment for non compliance is very severe and in the event of death of a tenant the landlord can look forward to a very hefty prison sentence.

EPC's ? Well, what can you say?  Never been asked to view one in the whole time of renting or selling they have been mandatory. Caused a flurry this year when I asked to see one for a property I was buying.  :D  Eeer! Yes, that is booked in to be done was the reply.  The property had been marketed for over 3 months!

How come I have never ever been asked my opinion in any survey anywhere, anytime.........ever. 

Some of those statistics are very surprising, however it does kind of depend on the basis of the survey.

For example....

* You don't need a gas cert or a carbon monoxide alarm if the property is all electric.....and 30+ % of properties are.

* You don't need smoke alarms by law if the AST is pre 2015.

* With regard to EPC's......although it's the law.....you might get away with not having an EPC if you advertise/market/let the property yourself and the prospective tenants don't ask for it. BUT, there is no way you will be able to sell a property without one.

Statistics

“There are three types of lies -- lies, damn lies, and statistics.”
Benjamin Disraeli

“Facts are stubborn things, but statistics are pliable.”
Mark Twain

“If your experiment needs a statistician, you need a better experiment.”
Ernest Rutherford

“99 percent of all statistics only tell 49 percent of the story.”
Ron DeLegge II,

“Statistics lie. They are designed to sway opinions. Take the time to keep yourself informed on things that matter.”
Steve Maraboli,

There are two ways of lying. One, not telling the truth and the other, making up statistics.

Josefina Vazquez Mota

Definition of Statistics: The science of producing unreliable facts from reliable figures.

Evan Esar

Statistics are used much like a drunk uses a lamppost: for support, not illumination.

Vin Scully

Statistics are no substitute for judgment.

Henry Clay

I can prove anything by statistics except the truth.

George Canning

Consumers are statistics. Customers are people.

Stanley Marcus

Like dreams, statistics are a form of wish fulfillment.

Jean Baudrillard

I think statistics go in one ear and out the other. All of us respond to stories more than numbers.

Koren Zailckas

Archived