Electric rads & EPCs

Lincoln

Has anyone else had problems with electric heating and EPC ratings?

On electricians advice over the last couple of years I have replaced night store heaters with Haverland TT or rointee  energy efficient heaters - this is where there was no gas or space for oil tanks etc and electric is the only heating option.

I have recently  needed a couple of EPCs on re letting and in both instances - a flat and terrace - with different EPC inspectors these new heaters were seen  on the EPC form as panel ie worse and my EPC rating went down because of this. The 2 letting agents went back to the EPC inspectors on each property and even they were surprised that these new heaters get down graded

It seems crazy to me to try and be a landlord improving energy efficiency of property if the EPC forms and inspectors don't accept these heater types are not the old panel or night store.

I have emailed the manufacturer of the heaters........ but has anyone else had this problem and how did you over come it?

Any advice would be appreciated !!

It is all about research when purchasing items and not believing all the advertising blurb.

These Rointee heaters look very good and better quality than your off the shelf 15 quid panel heater from B&Q.

BUT: you cannot change the law of physics and 1KW of energy can only give out 1KW of heating It simply doesn't matter one iota whether the fins on your radiators are coated with rare aluminium powder or custard, nor whether you've spent 15 quid or twenty grand on them.

See below ASA ruling

http://hvpmag.co.uk/news/fullstory.php/aid/365/Heating_manufacturer_banned_from_using__unsubstantiated_and_misleading__claims.html

I think you may have be better off upgrading the storage heating to a more modern version with a built in convector heater so you get the cheap off peak storage heating but have the flexibility of instant top-up heating when required.

It would be helpful if there was a guide of various heaters for the purpose of increasing EPC ratings for landlords 

57 minutes ago, Grampa said:

It would be helpful if there was a guide of various heaters for the purpose of increasing EPC ratings for landlords 

What a great idea.....damn, why didn't I think of that ? It's so bloody obvious but all the best ideas are once somebody else suggests it.

I have all electric flats with very old fashioned night storage heaters and additional wall mounted convector heaters. Those flats always achieve a C rating ......typically C73. There is only one recommendation to improve the heating and that is to install fan assisted storage heaters at an indicative cost of £1200-£1600. The potential savings for these new wonders is £49 a year. So, they are certainly not a good investment unless you are building new or totally refurbishing.

As far as electric heating is concerned.......you should have stuck with the storage heaters. Difficult to improve on the performance of you don't have gas.

Having bought a small flat this week with 2 old storage rads. and on off-peak electricity rates they will be staying where they are after my electrician checks them out.

The current 2018 EPC Grade was a bit low but mainly due to single glazed windows which will be replaced over the next month or so.   By installing new d/glazing windows it will have a real meaningful improvement all round both to the EPC rating and for the future tenant.

2 hours ago, Melboy said:

Having bought a small flat this week with 2 old storage rads. and on off-peak electricity rates they will be staying where they are after my electrician checks them out.

The current 2018 EPC Grade was a bit low but mainly due to single glazed windows which will be replaced over the next month or so.   By installing new d/glazing windows it will have a real meaningful improvement all round both to the EPC rating and for the future tenant.

Energy saving light bulbs, water tank jacket and loft insulation is cheap fix and can sometimes do just enough to get EPC rating into the next band.

Thanks for all the comments - I went with the electrician's advice and assumed these were improvements :(- it will be interesting to see what Haverland technical department say as these are marketed as eco design compliant. (www.lot20.co.uk)   Have done the light bulbs and replaced windows where we can and done loft insulation but with flats in listed buildings you can only do secondary glazing and have high ceilings. 

Have to say the commercial tenants like the new heaters as do the residential tenants as there's more control and heat when they want it - but the whole thing is a mine field  for those on electric only  - agree a list or guidance would be really helpful.  

Just had a look at my EA's selling EPC and it's a D Class 62.   It does state on the EPC that with UPVc double glazing installed and eco light bulbs this will rise to an EPC Band C. 77.     Good enough for me and any future tenant or flat re-sale..

Archived