Hoarder

Acura

Morning!

Has anyone had any experience of a hoarder? 

I’ve got one apparently. Had 3 agents to the house last week for valuations and two mentioned how they couldn’t even get into 2 rooms, and the rest were almost as bad. 

Typically both those agents were not my management agents! Every house inspection mentioned stuff, just not huge volumes or hoarding. 

Going to be selling up so this doesn’t bode well for viewings. Might be selling to the company next door, and they are happy to keep the tenant, but if they don’t want to proceed I need to give this guy notice before viewings. 

I have no personal experience of hoarders. My only information is that obtained from numerous tv programmes over the last 3 years that have specifically covered hoarders.

What I learnt from this is that they are notoriously difficult to remove from your property. All the programmes showed eviction going the full term to bailiffs or high court enforcement. Even then they don't often take all of their stuff.

Good luck, you might need it.

Thanks RL!

I've not had experience other than TV programmes too, and the old lady opposite our house apparently was a hoarder. We've just returned to the UK from our stint overseas and we recently saw the house being emptied into skips and flatbeds, so we're imagining she's died. The lady who lived next door moved away as she was petrified of a fire.

Anyhow, I wish I'd gone myself now to have seen the extent of all his stuff as he wouldn't allow the agents to take pictures.

Going to need the good luck I reckon!

I should have said that with tv documentary programmes I readily accept that the producers have to structure the content to be entertaining. To achieve that I expect them to cherry pick those aspects of hoarders which will have the biggest impact on the viewing audience.

But, nevertheless the basic information they present should be true to life and none of us would welcome this type of tenant if we could avoid it in the first place.

Do let us know how you get on.

I will. In the meantime I will go and see the property myself soon so I can get a handle in the state of the place. 

The house was a HMO until a fire gutted it almost 10 years ago. It was completely renovated and I let it to this guy in 2009 when it was complete. 

The agents who are not my MAs also told me the kitchen and bathroom are in a state, so I’m pretty upset to be honest considering he had everything brand spanking new when he moved in. The bathroom floor is a mess as it’s been bleached around the toilet (without putting too much detail it sounds like he uses buckets of water instead of toilet paper, according to the agents). 

Anyhow, I’ll keep you posted. 

Tough time for us landlords out there. Very different to when I started in 1987!! 

• 1 month later...

Just coming back to this to say I’ve been to see the house and while he does have far too much stuff (in my opinion!), I wouldn’t go as far as calling him a hoarder as such. 

Need to make a decision on selling in this tax year. Give notice to this guy or to a woman and her adult son? Both properties are similar value, so it’s more a case of who gets the short straw getting notice before Christmas. 

Having not sold a rented property before, anything I should bear in mind? Maybe I’ll ask in a new thread?!

Archived