Maisonette is a HMO?

Sunflower

Hello everyone. I have a  3 beds Maisonette I am going to let it to two couples. They are close friends. My neighbor always complains of the noise of previous tenants made and threat to tell the council that I am illegally doing HMO, I want to know if I should worry about that. Thanks. 

Your entitled to worry about anything you like......what worries you might not worry somebody else.

Contact your local council and ask them to provide THEIR criteria for HMO's in the area. I doubt two unrelated people constitute an HMO but you won't know until you contact them.

Ask to speak to the councils HMO officier who should be able to advise.

Also speak to local letting agents but check they specialize in HMO'S as a lot dont and will just wing it if they think they may get the property to manage. 

What is considered a HMO?
A house in multiple occupation is a property rented out by at least 3 people who are not from 1 'household' (eg a family) but share facilities like the bathroom and kitchen. It's sometimes called a 'house share'. You must have a licence if you're renting out a large HMO .

My money is on the the local council advising you that your maisonnette constitutes an HMO from the criteria given out by gov.uk.

The term house is a generic term ........it covers houses and flats.

If it's a leasehold flat.........You should also check that there are no restrictions contained in the Lease, that you don't need the freeholders permission and that your buildings & contents insurance is still valid. If it's mortgaged, you should check your lenders requirements before you let.

15 hours ago, Sunflower said:

HOuse house, mine is a flat. 

Maisonette

French term derivation meaning a little house.   In UK used to describe a set of rooms for living in typically on two storeys as part of a larger building with a separate entrance from rest of the building. Can be one level or split level.

House, Maisonette or flat it doesnt matter. A HMO is HMO. Some HMO need a licence some dont.  

Once you have established the status of the tenancy/tenancies you need to make sure you comply with the regulations 

Considerations to think about for HMO's:

1. Not complying  with the regs makes any s21 notices served invalid

2. A Specialized mortgage is normally required for HMO properties as "normall" BTL mortgages can have a restriction.

3. A specialized building insurance product will also likely be required.

4. HMO's legally require a electrical certificate.

5. Shared kitchens need certain warning signs on displ;ay.

6. Depending on the type of HMO fire regs will need to be complied with which could be, hard wired smoke alarms, fire doors, fire alarms, fire notices.etc

7. Huge fines for non-compliance of HMO rules.

8. Pat tests for any electrical appliances provided. 

Archived