Council tax budget

kanrent

The full council tax for my property is 180 pounds a month there is a 25 percent discount for single person living there, if the property is empty between tenants I still pay the full 180 pounds a month no discount for empty property.

Can anyone tell me what it will be now the government is proposing a 100 percent penalty on empty properties will it double to 360 pounds a month whilst empty, or did I misunderstand.

My understanding is that the budget allows each individual council to charge up to 100% council tax on empty properties.. That's the full council tax on empty property not an additional 100%.

The reason it's confusing is that individual councils all currently charge differently.

Some councils offer a discount (eg 50%) for a short period (eg 3 months) on unfurnished property only and after that its a higher %......in my case it's 100% now.

Furnished property doesn't normally qualify for any discounts.

As the cost of council tax on rented property is tax deductible landlords already effectively save either 20% or 40% depending on their tax band.

So if you are also getting the initial 50% discount for 3 months ......a landlord is actually getting either a 60% or a 70 % discount on the full council tax that many other people pay.

It seems some landlords quite conveniently forget about the tax relief because they are to busy pleading poverty.

Archived