Interview prejudice.

Harry Fisher

I read this on another forum and wondered if it does happen?

London flatsharers hold an informal interview with potential new tenants, to assess their political/social views. It happened to me a couple of times in the 90s and I imagine still goes on now, in fact is probably more prevalent post-Brexit. A quick look at some ads on Gumtree reveals a ‘gay flatshare’, ‘artistic and open-minded flatshare’ , ‘all female flatshare’ ‘room in Muslim family house for non-drinking individual’ all of which I suspect are codewords, and in one case there is an ad for a ‘Single room for Muslim’ which I would have thought is illegal.

FLAT FOR RENT
.. No Dogs
.. No Tories
.. No Brexiteers
.. No Friends of Israel
.. No Trump Supporters

Probably everything you have said is correct but at least you know where you stand if the advert is expressing the type of tenant that need not apply.

If Jeremy Corbyn has his way stating NO DSS will also soon become illegal to state on a rental advert.

When I advertise I keep it as an open advert but I know who I am looking for when it comes to selection. Always has been a good way of selecting my tenant's for many year's.

Yes I do the same as Melboy, I leave the advert open and do my own selection based on their suitability.

Let's be honest......the days of adverts saying  'no blacks, no dogs, no Irish' which were prevalent in the 1960's are long gone. We all know selection in some cases will be prejudiced.....including mine. I have a long list of applicants who I try to avoid based on sound business principles. I believe it's illegal to refuse on the basis of race, religion, colour, sex, sexual orientation etc. In reality, it happens all the time and if sharing a property I'd have thought one of the main criteria is for everyone to get on.

Unfortunately, the world is not perfect.

I can't see a problem with selecting a living companion that fits in with the household.

It must increase the chances of enjoying social stability.

Archived