Inventory

A.Vaughn

If an agency is fully managing the property for you i.e. doing everything, then it makes perfect sense for them to want a professional inventory produced.

Of course, you could manage the property yourself. You could then choose to do your own inventory (which many of us do).

In this business, every time you choose NOT to comply with any one of the items on the list you are either:

1. Massively increasing the risk of something going wrong which ultimately will hit you in the pocket. or

2. Not complying with legal requirements.

The purpose of any inventory is to record exactly what is in the property at the time of occupation. There can be no arguments when the tenant leaves over what was actually there. It has been known for unscrupulous tenant's to sell washing machines, fridges etc.    If you have no signed inventory by the tenant then forget about making a claim against the tenant.

I carry out my own inventory checks as this is something I prefer to do. It works for me. Download the necessary forms from this website.

A typical inventory for a 2 bed unfurnished flat will be 40-60 pages(sides) long and will list/photo as well the meters, bin area external areas etc. It will be a combination of photos and descriptions. It should be signed on every page and any stains on marks should ideally be photographed with a coin or ruler along side them so the size of the mark stain can be determined.

There are many inventory companies out there that do this service and the cost varies but expect to pay in the region of 100-140 quid depending on the size of the property.

We do ours in house and that has never been questioned if there was any a dispute and we charge the landlord £85. It takes from start to finish 4-5 hours to do.

I always have a Profesional inventory clerk do the inventory for me , I have just had a check-in inventory done with well over a hundred photos and 43 pages of text, it cost me £ 65.00 ,it is written in my tenancy agreement that the check out inventory is carried out at the cost to the tenant.  I manage our properties my self but not dream of letting without an inventory.

2 hours ago, kerbut said:

I always have a Profesional inventory clerk do the inventory for me , I have just had a check-in inventory done with well over a hundred photos and 43 pages of text, it cost me £ 65.00 ,it is written in my tenancy agreement that the check out inventory is carried out at the cost to the tenant.  I manage our properties my self but not dream of letting without an inventory.

You may have to swallow that  cost or add it to the rent when the fee ban comes in and is clarified. 

• 2 years later...

Hi, If you're seeking a professional inventory clerk service, we are offering a 10% discount for first time customers. Our services are available in South East London and throughout Kent.

For more information, contact us, 24/7 on 0333 405 0200 or visit our website where we also provide guidance and support within our property news section. https://propertyinventoryclerks.co.uk/property-news/

yawn

3 hours ago, David Evestaff said:

Hi, If you're seeking a professional inventory clerk service, we are offering a 10% discount for first time customers. Our services are available in South East London and throughout Kent.

For more information, contact us, 24/7 on 0333 405 0200 or visit our website where we also provide guidance and support within our property news section. https://propertyinventoryclerks.co.uk/property-news/

yawn