Over-40s room rental service? Quick Q for live-in landlords!

Al Cleland

A quick question (relevant only to live-in landlords who take in lodgers): would the following kind of room advertising platform appeal to you? Based on my own (not great) experiences of younger lodgers - but also based on the experience of friends aged > 45 who struggle to find rooms to rent in decent homes / don't want to share with "young profs" / students etc ... i'm considering setting up an online platform advertising rooms with landlords over (say) 45 ... to match with potential lodgers also > a certain age limit, with a level of vetting of lodgers included in the service. Think spareroom.com but for a specific target market and with more value-add (being prepared to exclude either poor quality properties or lodgers who don't fit the profile). 

The theory ... is that many > 45s would rather share their home / live with someone of similar age - whether 45 or 65 - and that these "lived-in" homes tend to offer better quality to would-be lodgers than many tenancy-based flatshare arrangements. And also, that there are many older live-in landlords who are maybe nervous about renting a room on directories like Gumtree due to the lack of vetting and support. Of course i could be barking up the wrong tree but I would love to hear from live-in landlords (actual or potential) on whether this niche "matching" service might appeal?!

Even if you think I'm nuts, I will appreciate the time you have taken to respond!

Kind Regards

AC 

You might not find many on this forum who meet your target profile but hopefully you have asked the same question on other property forums?

I've never been a live in landlord but what you describe makes perfect sense to me, seems like an excellent idea and I'm kinda surprised that nothing like it already exists.

Good luck.

"And also, that there are many older live-in landlords who are maybe nervous about renting a room on directories like Gumtree due to the lack of vetting and support"

Nothing wrong with Gumtree as an advertising vehicle, the clever bit is making sure you, as the landlord, do the vetting in a positive way. I have rented out 3 times now on Gumtree a flat over a period of 5 years with success.  Current tenant is 65 and in full time employment plus he has 2 pensions. The ideal tenant in my view.

I have do a policy, which I never disclose in the advert, that I only rent to the over 40's in employment plus of course all the other checks that have to be carried out.

True I have had some real pervies apply but they can quickly be disposed of.  :D

Your idea of renting a room to a certain age group seems a sound idea as I for one would rather be with people of my age group if, God  forbid, I found myself in a house share position.

:( Nope that is never going to happen  :D

We used to rent rooms in our home but now the portfolio has matured we no longer need to do this. I would prefer a hard working person of any age than a person whose has maybe left a difficult marriage and might end up with abusive partner hammering on the door. Would you also not fall foul of age discrimination legislation? I know there are some exemptions for individuals when it is their own home but as a company it will be different.  

Archived