Furnished or unfurnished

kanrent

Further considerations......

Letting unfurnished means every set of tenants will be moving large items.....beds, sofas, cupboards etc in and out of the property. However carefull they are.......and they aren't going to be extra carefull....damage to decor will always occur.

If you do decide on furnished, don't go over the top. The more you provide, the more you will be responsible for repairing or replacing. You don't need to provide small electrical appliances such as irons but providing a low cost ironing board might save damage to carpets or work surfaces. Some things also make economical sense to provide e.g. vacuum cleaner, lawnmower etc.

Instruction books are a must.....especially for overseas tenants who may have no experience of the items provided.

Just had an older couple move into my modern style mid terrace house. They damaged frame of door taking a chunk out of frame. To be fair they have older larger pieces of furniture but seriously considering furnishing property myself for damage limitation. Also my city council give 6 months community charge exemption but property must be unfurnished and unoccupied to qualify

If it's repairable then the tenants should pay.

Assuming its a wooden frame then any decent carpenter should be able to splice a piece in to form repair. 

Probably best to get it fixed and paid for now rather than wait until they move out.

Thanks Richlist . It's actually a PVC door type and  I was not amused when I saw it. The chip was glued back in but not sure if it's a permanent fix. Can pvc frames be repaired. ? Unfortunately it's a brown colour so probably more difficult to match. Don't want to hijack the furnished/ unfurnished discussion but grateful for advice

I don't know wether it can be successfully repaired if it's brown upvc but logic says you can't be the first person to have this happen.

There are many professional window repair firms around who will visit and quote for the repair. I have neighbours who have had white upvc frames repaired (frame hit by mini earth digger whilst having drive laid) successfully.

In your shoes I'd get a professional repair firm out to fix it permanently and charge the tenant.

Archived