-do I need planning permission to use the living room as a fourth bedroom

johnm

Hello advice needed please

I own a 2 storey- 3 bedroom -1 bathroom-1 kitchen – 1 living room -1 office

I want to rent out the 3 bedrooms and the living room as a fourth bedroom but keep the office for my use (I will be staying at my girlfriends flat)

Q1-do I need planning permission to use the living room as a fourth bedroom

Q2-does a separate communal living room need to be supplied to tenants under HMO regulations?

Q3- as long as I comply with HMO regulations with usage being under 5 tenants do I need to ask the local council to inspect or pass anything.

Regards

john

I think you will need fire doors and mains powered smoke alarms.

Best to call the housing dept of your local council for guidance and ask to speak to the HMO officer as all councils interpret the HMO's rules slightly differently. (though they shouldn't) 

I don't know the answer in regards to the legal position but considering the question logically I would suspect that using the single only reception room as a bedroom would not be allowed.

Properties that have a separate dining room or study converted into a 4th bedroom would, I suspect, be ok.

As suggested, you need to discuss your plans/proposals with your local council HMO department who I'm sure will be only to happy to advise on the correct course of action needed to comply with the rules.

Archived