Section 21 what are the correct dates?

Liz14

I am at a loss to fully understand the correct dates for a Section 21.  Rent date is 9th of the month.  Went to court after tenant refused to move out owing 3 months rent.   Section 21 dates were:   Section 21 dated 11th September 2015- date of expiry of notice 10th November 2015.  Possession sought after expiry of notice.  

Where did we go wrong?  

It appears you served the notice on the 11th Sept which I am assuming is the rent due day and the start of another monthly period. If you wanted the 2 months notice to start from the 11th Sept and end on the 10th Nov you should have served and dated the notice at least 3-4 days prior to the 11th of Sept to allow for service/post etc.

Serving it on the 11th means you have entered another month and therefore the 2 months should have ended on 10th Dec.

Hope that makes sense. 

Many thanks for replying to my topic.  As I now understand it I have to give notice before the rent due date.  We have now issued another Section 21 together with a Section 8.  This tenant is now 4 months in arrears.  We are at the very least hoping that she will bring her arrears to below 2 months, thereby invalidating the Section 8.  

If posted allow 3 clear days 'for service'. Your method of posting can be important also.

You've to consider that them Judges are looking for any reason to give the T's the benefit.

If the tenant is getting or may be getting some HB write to the council explaining they are more than 8 weeks/2 months in arrears and under regulation 95 you require all further HB payments are paid directly to you as the landlord. 

Archived