Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Grampa

Anti-Mould Paint

Recommended Posts

As I have previously mentioned on this site a number of times that I have managed to reduce the reports of Mould in most the rental properties I manage that suffer from it just by using Dulux bathroom anti-mould paint (approx. 20-25 quid per 2.5 L) on walls and ceilings. Nine times out of ten it is caused by the lifestyle of the tenant no matter what you tell them or how many info sheets we hand out.

It doesn't stop the condensation though.

Any way just popped in to LIDL and they are selling Baufix (never heard of the brand) Anti-mould paint 2.5L for, 2 for £10 in white (white only). It may be rubbish but until I try it I wont know. It may not cover very well but if you just need one coat over an existing white ceiling it could do the trick at quarter the price.

There is truth in the saying you get what you pay for, but not always.  

http://leaflet.lidl.co.uk/db07982d-d62e-481d-b187-36dc37076d05/index.html#/58

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny enough I have just been dealing with a condensation / damp problem in my rented flat. The small enclosed front entrance porch is not heated and when the inner main entrance door opens warm gushes out into cold enclosed porch walls and UPVC entrance door causing condensation damp.           Science lesson over.  :D

It was horrendus last year when tenant went to London on a 4 week work contract and came back to find porch walls black with mould. No circulating air to assist the prevention of mould forming either.

I cleaned off 3 walls and applied damp sealer and 2 coats of Dulux bathroom / kitchen paint.  So far it has worked with just a very slight showing of black mould above a corner wall skirting board.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A bit more involved but I've had success by using the plastic wall cladding, to ceilings also.

2.5 M x 250mm legths, 4 for around £40. I use silicon sealant to adhere it. I had concern that it would be easily damaged by T's but it seems to be holding up surprisngly well. Faster than tiling and better thermal insulating properties. The B&Q / Wickes stuff I've used to date doesn't have the quality appearance of tiling but recently I've sourced some high gloss panels that look far nicer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Carryon Regardless said:

A bit more involved but I've had success by using the plastic wall cladding, to ceilings also.

2.5 M x 250mm legths, 4 for around £40. I use silicon sealant to adhere it. I had concern that it would be easily damaged by T's but it seems to be holding up surprisngly well. Faster than tiling and better thermal insulating properties. The B&Q / Wickes stuff I've used to date doesn't have the quality appearance of tiling but recently I've sourced some high gloss panels that look far nicer.

Yes that works, also insulated plasterboard.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm surprised that when using rigid plastic sheets applied with silicon that you dont get condensation/moisture in the gaps between the sheet and the wall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Richlist said:

I'm surprised that when using rigid plastic sheets applied with silicon that you dont get condensation/moisture in the gaps between the sheet and the wall.

It's sealed and inaccessable so maybe it does condensate, there is no indication of it though. 

Another risk of course is that of the plaster losing it's integrity and the whole cladding coming away. Touch head and all that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Melboy said:

Funny enough I have just been dealing with a condensation / damp problem in my rented flat. The small enclosed front entrance porch is not heated and when the inner main entrance door opens warm gushes out into cold enclosed porch walls and UPVC entrance door causing condensation damp.           Science lesson over.  :D

It was horrendus last year when tenant went to London on a 4 week work contract and came back to find porch walls black with mould. No circulating air to assist the prevention of mould forming either.

I cleaned off 3 walls and applied damp sealer and 2 coats of Dulux bathroom / kitchen paint.  So far it has worked with just a very slight showing of black mould above a corner wall skirting board.

If you still get a problem could you bang in a air brick just to the cavity or right through? I find this helps and fairly cheap to do. Just don't put a shutable plastic vent cover on the

inside.

But yes the Dulux paint you mention I find wonderful. But I'm easily  pleased.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Carryon Regardless said:

A bit more involved but I've had success by using the plastic wall cladding, to ceilings also.

2.5 M x 250mm legths, 4 for around £40. I use silicon sealant to adhere it. I had concern that it would be easily damaged by T's but it seems to be holding up surprisngly well. Faster than tiling and better thermal insulating properties. The B&Q / Wickes stuff I've used to date doesn't have the quality appearance of tiling but recently I've sourced some high gloss panels that look far nicer.

I haven't had a mould problem yet so bad that it couldn't be cured (or helped)  by using certain paints, air bricks or changing the tenant but I am sure I will some time and I guess the above is likely to be the next step.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes saw that  in Lidle yesterday and bought 4 for stock ,I am taking one to Spain next month, I have had experience of their metal paint in the past and its as good as Smoothrite at 1/3 the price.. Edit to add re condensation : I bought off Ebay last year an Envirovent  where the machine goes in the roof space from where it draws air and circulates it around the property , not a trace of mould after fitting it and white plastic cladding from top of the bath to ceiling on all bathroom walls, oh and a tenant that is capable of opening windows.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...