Hi,

I have just had free solar installed on my rented properties.

It isn't rent a roof, it is in fact a PPA (Power Purchase Agreement) scheme.

My tenants get to purchase the electric generated at 3p pkwh (per kilo watt hour) instead of 12p - 15p they paid before.

I now have happier tenants with lower electricity bills, also my rental properties are now band D or above on the EPC register.

I was concerned with the new legislation coming into effect for landlords with lower property bands than a D, but this scheme has helped sort this issue out at no cost.

I have the company info if you are interested, as it helped me out.

Regards,

Sedgy34

Thanks for sharing that info with us. I think it's fair to say that what works for you isn't going to work for others. This is a complex subject that raises lots of questions like....

* who deals with the maintenance & insurance?

* what do the mortgage lenders think of the scheme?

* what's the life expectancy?

* planning permission?

* how is it dealt with if the property is sold?

* can you change energy suppliers?

Etc etc

Hi Richlist,

Answer to your questions;

* who deals with the maintenance & insurance? It is maintained by the company for the duration of the lifetime of the system.
* what do the mortgage lenders think of the scheme? Mortgage lenders are quite happy under this PPA scheme.
* what's the life expectancy? Duration is 20 years, and (the landlord) I own the system at the end also.
* planning permission? not required as it is permitted development.
* how is it dealt with if the property is sold? If it is sold it simply transfers to the new householder.
* can you change energy suppliers? YES.

I asked many questions myself and I couldn't find a fault to it.

Regards,

Sedgy34

If I had solar panels on my own roof last year when it struck by lightning causing a lot of damage I wonder who would have paid up for those to be replaced? Some insurance companies won't cover damage.

So there are a few downsides....

1. At the end of its useful life the installation belongs to the householder and everyone else involved deserts you. You are left to pay for its removal and any repairs or retiling required to the roof.

2. What happens if you are not happy with the service or repairs carried out by 'the company'?

3. What happens if the new owners don't want the solar panels and the contract ? Is it likely to make the property more difficult to sell ?

I know a couple of people who are very happy with their solar panels and it seems to work well for them.

My problem is they just look so bloody ugly and a such god awful eyesore. They are going up all over the place in my part of the world like a plague.

I would only start the process of considering it if they could be installed on the rear of the property but not the front. I have seen some really nice looking properties with this carbuncle contraption plonked on the front ruining the appearance.

So there are a few downsides....

1. At the end of its useful life the installation belongs to the householder and everyone else involved deserts you. You are left to pay for its removal and any repairs or retiling required to the roof.

2. What happens if you are not happy with the service or repairs carried out by 'the company'?

3. What happens if the new owners don't want the solar panels and the contract ? Is it likely to make the property more difficult to sell ?

The system will still generate at a lower efficiency any generation will benefit the home user

Why wouldn't you be not happy? It's in their interest to look after it for their return also

Any new owners would be paying 3p instead of 13p pkwhr it's a no brainer I can't see anyone wanting to pay 13p when they have option of a lower rate 10p cheaper.

I know a couple of people who are very happy with their solar panels and it seems to work well for them.My problem is they just look so bloody ugly and a such god awful eyesore. They are going up all over the place in my part of the world like a plague.I would only start the process of considering it if they could be installed on the rear of the property but not the front. I have seen some really nice looking properties with this carbuncle contraption plonked on the front ruining the appearance.

I have the company info if it's of interest to you.

There was mention of South, South East south west facing for yield and returns.

Wouldn't it be better, less intrusive, not spoil the look of the property if the panels could be located in the grounds of those with large gardens or estates ?

Not sure I would want solar panels spoiling the design, look of my property just so I or a tenant can save a little bit of money.

My own home is very energy efficient already. I only pay around £500 pa for electricity anyway so balancing a saving of a couple of hundred quid against an ugly solar patch on my roof is also a no brainer....I'd have to say no thanks.

I'm sure with just a little more effort the powers to be could redesign the solar panels to look like roof tiles and less like a poorly designed black glass scab stuck on the roof like an afterthought.

A hotel I go to in Tenerife has roof tiles that are solar energy producing. If they can do it why can't we?

I would not like solar panels spoiling the look of my home.

I hate seeing these panels to the front of any property as they do look so ugly.

If I was thinking of buying a property and it had these black scabs on the front it would certainly be a minus point in my decision making. It would also be the same if it was on the next door house of a semi or detached house.

The rear I wouldn't be so fussed about.

A hotel I go to in Tenerife has roof tiles that are solar energy producing. If they can do it why can't we?

It could be because there is more sun it that part of the world so there is more flexibility in the design. But I could be wrong.

I have the company info if it's of interest to you.

There was mention of South, South East south west facing for yield and returns.

Unfortunately my house faces south so unless I can pick it up and turn it around 180 degrees its a no goer for me.

It's always surprised me that in Spain (and southern France) there are very, very few properties with solar panels. Now you would have thought that they would get most benefit from an installation.

Oh, I get it now.....could it be the old story that the manufacturers & installers can charge rip off prices in the UK like many other industries....and get away with it ?

Archived