Advice on subletting/ getting a lodger in a house owned by a friend

fionar

I currently live in a house with my friend that they own. As it is a friend I do not have a contract, but I pay them rent. My friend is now moving out into another property with their partner, and I am going to stay in the property my friend owns and look to get someone to move into the flat – can anyone advise what would need to happen in terms of contracts and deposit. My friend the owner of the property would prefer it if I just deal with everything . As it will probably be a stranger that is moving into the property I want to ensure everything is covered and protected.

Your current set up with a live in landlord you are classed as a lodger with very few rights. When your landlord moves out you become a tenant on a Assured Shorthold tenancy (AST) by default wheather you have a written contract or not and any deposit taken has to be protected correctly by your landlord.

Your landlord has the choice of giving you full tenant status with sub-letting rights for you to find a lodger and to be the lodgers landlord. You would then pay the full rent to your friend and collect rent from the lodger for yourself but if the lodger diddnt pay, you would still be liable to pay the full rent to your friend.

Or your friend could give any individuels living in the property their own AST and they would pay only what they had to as stated on their contracts.

Or your friend could put all tenants on one contract as a joint tenancy but legally that means if one didnt pay their share the landlord (your friend) could request payment from the other.

Archived