Advice on bedroom/ bathroom access reqd.

Harry Fisher

I bought a house last November to renovate and rent out.

All is going well so far, it is a two bed terraced house, but like a lot in this area the Bathroom which contains the only toilet is attached to the back bedroom, (see plan).

Anyone sleeping in the front bedroom has to pass through the back bedroom to get to the bathroom.

Does anyone have any advice what to do about this?

Should I ( a ) leave it as it is, ( b ) put a passageway through the back bedroom,(which would make the room smaller), or ( c ) put an extra toilet and wash basin in the cupboard space in the front bedroom?

71rytw.jpg

1. Is it possible to put a second toilet downstairs ......at a reasonable cost ? This would be more preferable.

2. What are the rental returns for similar properties with conversions vs without and how does that compare with the cost of the improvements ?

The cheapest and in nearly all circumstances for configurations like this a corridor is built from stud and plasterboard with bedroom access door leading off.

You have what you have bought and persons romping through a second bedroom is not ideal.

1. Is it possible to put a second toilet downstairs ......at a reasonable cost ? This would be more preferable.

2. What are the rental returns for similar properties with conversions vs without and how does that compare with the cost of the improvements ?

1.Not really anywhere to put a toilet downstairs without extending the building, which would be too costly.

2.Don't know about this, it would be difficult to find out, I was thinking of asking a couple of local Letting Agents for their opinions.

The cheapest and in nearly all circumstances for configurations like this a corridor is built from stud and plasterboard with bedroom access door leading off.

You have what you have bought and persons romping through a second bedroom is not ideal.

Yes, a stud and plasterboard wall and door is what I was thinking, and I could do it myself, but I would have to break through a load bearing wall from the front bedroom, which would need Building regs approval.

Some people think its always cost effective to make improvements such as you are planning but really is not the case.

If there is only a small rent increase after the work is complete, if the property lets quickly anyway without the improvements or if the costs of the improvement will take years to recoup.......then it ain't worth doing.

Seems to me you haven't done the necessary homework.

If after all that you do want to do the work and you can't put another WC downstairs.......I'd definitely go for your option 'b'. Otherwise any visitors will have to go thru a bedroom to use the loo !!!!

Yes, a stud and plasterboard wall and door is what I was thinking, and I could do it myself, but I would have to break through a load bearing wall from the front bedroom, which would need Building regs approval.

Yep! Building regs would be required but so be it and whatever that costs you would get back in the new value of the propertyafter conversion.

I have done several of these conversions and they are very straightforward. Your lucky you don't have to re configure the stairs as that would cost you a bucket full of money to do.

Howzabout remove existing staircase making bedroom 1 the bigger by moving the partition adjacent to bedroom 2. Put in a spiral staircase in position "s" with a doorway to BR 1 and a small landing into passage and BR2. Should also increase space downstairs as well. Just a thought.

Dave

Spiral staircases/ Yuk!

In the 2-3 bedroom starter homes in my location I know this to be a major turn off for buyer's and renter's.

I even know of owner's putting in proper staircases for the very reason that RL has said.

Stick to the tried and tested and accepted way of improving access to the rear bathroom.

Leave as is or add partition? Obvious people to ask are your local letting agents - give them a viewing.

I know of similar configurations that are let OK, but probably don't attract such high rent return as those with separate bathroom/WC access. Could be quite attractive to a couple (using either bedroom) without children who could just put a curtain across when they have visitors using the other bedroom.

I would check your letting market before you spend on improvement, particularly as you say there are other similar houses in area.

Check the headroom on the stair if you propose to construct that passage or loo in location "S". If I am reading your plan correctly, a floor in location "S" will leave you with about 1200 mm of headroom on the stair. A question I ask is, how high is the floor in the cupboard "S" ?

On the stair, I count 6 steps down to the cupboard, assuming risers of 200mm, 6 x 200 = 1200. You need 1900 mm minimum headroom for Building Regs.

Check the headroom on the stair if you propose to construct that passage or loo in location "S". If I am reading your plan correctly, a floor in location "S" will leave you with about 1200 mm of headroom on the stair. A question I ask is, how high is the floor in the cupboard "S" ?

On the stair, I count 6 steps down to the cupboard, assuming risers of 200mm, 6 x 200 = 1200. You need 1900 mm minimum headroom for Building Regs.

No the drawing is not clear, none of my plans would affect the stairs, thanks.

• 7 months later...

Harry has not been around this forum for a very long time so it might pay you to PM him with your question in order to get an answer.

Harry, I have exactly the same issue and am weighing up the cost of work vs actual profit etc. with the rental market sky high some may not even be bothered about having to go through a bedroom to the toilet.

Can I ask what decision you went for?

Thanks

Sorry Bungle just seen your post, I do visit the forum mainly to read other comments, I decided to leave it as it is just now, had some advice from a plumber and he thought it wasn't worth the bother.

My house is nearly finished now, getting carpets and laminate laid soon, my eldest son is going to rent from me now anyway as he has now got a good job, so that will take the worry of renting it off my shoulders for a while anyway.

Archived