The Joy of Being a Landlord.

Melboy

I've got a shed that needs re-felting. Apparantly once you are over 65, in my area the local authority have got a scheme where you only pay a small nominal fee & they arrange for the work to be done.

Can't wait until I'm 65+ :)

By the time you reach 65 RL there won't be any shed left. :D

Waiting around for the local authority? No way Can you imagine how long you would have to wait?

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone had any storm damage?

Yesterday a tenant text me to contact her urgently - the other half of the semi house she rents from me has a TV aerial right at the top of the roof apex almost onto my half.

The aerial had come down along with the 1st 4 courses of bricks below and this lot had crashed through next doors porch roof. Smashed tiles everywhere, end of roof ridge disrupted and 1m hole in wall. A couple of bricks were hanging just about to drop.

A couple who are new to BTL bought this next door property, tenanted for cash back in May and they had not insured it!

Yes..... 4 of ... 6x6 fence panels and 3 posts. All 7 years old.

Other than that I think I have got away very lightly as the wind blowing around here was 50 to 60 mph at one point.

Anybody who doesn't insure their property has not one jot of sympathy from me I have to say.

I had 3 or 4 ridge tiles blown off a top floor rental flat during the storm on 25th January.

In my part of Essex we've had at least X5 major storms/ high winds in total...... twice before Xmas, then on 24th December, 25th January and then again 14th February. I'm hoping thats the end of them now.

The good bit about leasehold property is that the service charges cover the repair costs. All fixed extremely quickly as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Hand back property day for me. Such fun!

let's hope it goes smoothly. At least the property has been re-let as from next Friday with no hiccups and everything has gone smoothly so far with the new tenants. I have even got the 1st months rent in and the deposit already........bonus!

So on Monday it's Electricians Day for a certificate and possibly the fitment of a new consumer unit updated.

Tuesday Plumber is in to carry out boiler service and certificate and to fix a couple of minor plumbing problems.

Wednesday is painting day.

................and then the fence has to be replaced after being blown away. That alone is £300 to do.

Oh! what Joy!

Anybody who has a flat roof element to their block of flats or home needs to check their insurance policy as I have a possible insurance claim being refused because the flat roof wasn't inspected every two years.

Even though the property was only built 4 years ago.

I had had a roofer up on the roof about 18 months ago looking at the lead flashing and he gave the roof the once over but because he didn't charge for it (it didn't need any work) and I don't have a invoice the insurance company are using it as a get out clause for a 2k roofing repair claim.

I could just get the roofer who has done the repair work to do a backdated report as he was the one who went up previously but that will just look suspicious as if it has been fabricated.

The moral is read the small print.

Hand back property day for me. Such fun!

let's hope it goes smoothly. At least the property has been re-let as from next Friday with no hiccups and everything has gone smoothly so far with the new tenants. I have even got the 1st months rent in and the deposit already........bonus!

So on Monday it's Electricians Day for a certificate and possibly the fitment of a new consumer unit updated.

Tuesday Plumber is in to carry out boiler service and certificate and to fix a couple of minor plumbing problems.

Wednesday is painting day.

................and then the fence has to be replaced after being blown away. That alone is £300 to do.

Oh! what Joy!

Well the hand over all went well. Nice and clean and tidy and you could see some effort had been put into cleaning the place.

Just the snags to sort out now like the conservatory door handle needs replacing and a few minor jobs to be done.

Why is it that tenant's will not replace smoke alarm batteries? It's fitted for their safety AND I always make them sign a certificate to say that the smoke alarms are in working order on taking the property plus it is their responsibilty to to check and replace batteries.

Why is it that tenant's will not replace smoke alarm batteries? It's fitted for their safety AND I always make them sign a certificate to say that the smoke alarms are in working order on taking the property plus it is their responsibilty to to check and replace batteries.

Yes I agree its annoying BUT a battery only costs £1 and its an easy fit so not worth getting upset over.

Yes I agree its annoying BUT a battery only costs £1 and its an easy fit so not worth getting upset over.

No I am not upset RL I just cannot understand why they would want to put their personal safety at risk.

£1 a battery?. No wonder you havn't got a Sunseeker boat yet. :D

My PP3's are 50 pence each when you buy 4 or 40 pence each if you buy 6 so it looks like my Sunseeker is already on the slip-way.

My PP3's are 50 pence each when you buy 4 or 40 pence each if you buy 6 so it looks like my Sunseeker is already on the slip-way.

Eh ?

The devil is in the maths......don't let those misleading adverts mislead you.

If I only want ONE battery it only costs £1.

I could perhaps buy X4 for £2 or X6 for £2.40 BUT.....if I only want one battery I will have spent more than £1

No, my sunseeker is well within reach.......especially this year as I've already sold X2 properties and its only March 1st..

Well down at Poole Quay a Mr E Jordan has his Sunseeker waiting for sea trials - that you RL?

I'm just in middle of a 3 bed refurb to be ready for the 5th March. My beef is when tenants leave and take good or leave duff GU10 light bulbs. Just fitted new 14W all in one low voltage bulkhead lights - they'd have to nick the whole fitting as it does not have bulbs.

Decided to skim 'textured ceiling' in lounge, got it all prepped and plasterer has gone down with something ghastly. Decorator says he is too cold and boiler pressure switch if faulty so only plasma gas fire heat.

I'm busy ironing curtains - tres relaxing.

Eh ?

The devil is in the maths......don't let those misleading adverts mislead you.

If I only want ONE battery it only costs £1.

I could perhaps buy X4 for £2 or X6 for £2.40 BUT.....if I only want one battery I will have spent more than £1

No, my sunseeker is well within reach.......especially this year as I've already sold X2 properties and its only March 1st..

I have to buy in bulk RL because when you add the number of smoke alarms I have buying just the one is not economic.

I have 3 smoke alarms in Melboy Towers for starter's then there are 2 smoke alarms in each of my properties.

Sorry RL but if you are required to sell your properties to buy a Sunseeker then you won't be able to afford to run the boat especially when you check out the mooring fees.

There was i thinking you were a cash buyer. :D

I'm just in middle of a 3 bed refurb to be ready for the 5th March. My beef is when tenants leave and take good or leave duff GU10 light bulbs.

Yes I agree......and there are a vast number of extremely annoying beefs that I have.....

* Like you.....light bulbs blown or missing completely is one....then there's

* Batteries (smoke alarms, door bells, intercoms, clocks etc),

* Ovens and hobs not cleaned satisfactorily.

* Soft furnishings like table cloths, net curtains, shower curtains & mattress covers not cleaned.

* Stains on carpets.

* Draw curtains rarely cleaned before handing property back.

* Filters not cleaned or replaced in extractor hoods

* Gulleys on balconies/ patios usually not cleaned ....often blocked with leaves

* Lampshades/ light fittings not dusted

* Windows not cleaned inside & out

* Shower head not descaled if required

* Hair removed from washbasin & bath waste outlets

* Satisfactory defrosting of fridge/ freezer

* Vacuum cleaner bag not replaced....often so full its burst in the machine

* etc etc

In order to attempt to ensure these things have been addressed by my outgoing tenant I do a number of things like....

I provide a detailed letter of what is expected and visit the property 1 week before end of tenancy pointing out the main things they need to do. I tell the tenant that I don't actually do any of the remedial work, I employ others to fix things and the bills for the work will be deducted from their deposit if its not done satisfactorily. I tell them I'm more than happy to revisit at any time before the end of the tenancy.

My latest attempt is to list ALL potential problems and the likely cost to the tenant of ME fixing them after they have gone....it seems to be working so far but I only have a sample of one.

The condition of property handover yesterday generally was very good.

The oven was cleaned and sparkling and the kitchen smelt fresh and clean.

The whole house had been given a good clean so no complaints from me really.

I shall be spending today and the rest of the week until Thursday painting out as it has been around 5 years since the walls were emulsioned etc.

Electrician in tomorrow for a certificate and electrical test. It will be interesting to see what he will be quoting & charging for the replacement of the "fuse" box.

I did intend to sell this property but decided against it as it is a very nice house in a very good location and with the lousy interest rates on capital money I'll keep it going for a while longer.

2 things to add;

vaccum cleaners are dna matched to one owner only I think you'll find. I am for example the only person in the entire universe that has the correct dna to replace any of the five that we have in various locations. This not only extends to family (teenage children especially) but employees as well. The bloody thing in my shop, let's call him Henry, completely fails to pick anything up, the motor is straining like it's trying to suck up a McDonalds milkshake and the air being exhausted smells like it's come out of a tramps woollen pants on a hot day in marakesh. Still nobody suspects that the bag might be full.

Smoke detector batteries, in ten years running a busy guest house, these were the only items to get stolen. It beggars belief that somone would do it, not interested in the material cost, but the shear irresponsibility of it.

Back to work, feel much better now.

Dave

Smoke detector batteries, in ten years running a busy guest house, these were the only items to get stolen. It beggars belief that somone would do it, not interested in the material cost, but the shear irresponsibility of it.

Thats never happened to me.

We obviously have a much better class of irresponsible tenant here in my part of EsSex......I always suspected that was the case. :P

• 2 weeks later...

A timely reminder to all landlord's of the importance of documentation when handing back or taking over a rented property

This time it's not smoke alarm batteries missing ( grrr! :D ) but the need to have an accurate and signed for certificate by landlord and tenant of ALL meter readings.

Sure enough phoned large gas company this morning with the readings for my old and new tenant and my old tenant had submitted their own figure which was 200 meter units under- read!

A simple error perhaps? but simple or not I had a signed document as to that reading. I then had to go back to the now rented out property with an independent witness to take another meter reading to prove my reading taken in their presence was in fact correct.

In this case it was amicable emails but for other's it may not always end this way.

This is my simple format spread onto an A4 paper. Tenant keeps a copy.

Property Address: Landlord's Address

Date of meter reading: ..........................

Meter Readings:

Supplier

Gas: ………………….

Electric: ……………….

Water: …………………

Signed:……………………………. Date:.....................

( Landlord )

Signed:…………………………… Date:.....................

( Tenant )

Archived