ceiling of wood - property to rent

marco_c

Hello everybody,

I have a house with 2 storeys in Belfast

downstairs there are kitchen, living room and bathroom with ceilings made of wood

upstairs only one bedroom has woods

there is a electric cooker

Is it possible to let it out or there is a regulation against wood ceilings?

many thanks

mark

It was fashionable in the 1970's I believe but, there aren't many properties left where its been retained. Keeping it might limit the ability to let the property quickly......but it depends on the condition of the local competition.

There are no regs that I know of in England that ban the letting of properties with timber clad ceilings. Most property in the UK have lots of timber in their construction .....although most of it is covered with inert material.

Personally, from a safety perspective, I'd be a little concerned about having timber cladding on a kitchen ceiling. If there were a fire, I'd have thought that a wooden clad ceiling is likely to catch & spread very quickly. At the very least I'd strip it out of the kitchen and in any event make sure I installed hard wired smoke alarms on each floor irrespective of any regs.

I have taken down quite a few kitchen ceilings clad in pine T&G and replaced with plasterboard & skim coat plaster.

These ceilings, apart from the obvious fire risk and the fact most of these ceilings have been probably varnished which is highly inflammable anyway do make the kitchen that much darker with no natural light reflection.

There are no building regs. covering pine clad ceilings.

thanks for all your replies

@Melboy I assume you have enough experience to assist me with another question

usually, after removing ceiling clads in pine what do you usually find? boards? cement? panels?

is it possible to plaster straight after or do you usually put some panels before re-plastering?

many thanks

thanks for all your replies

@Melboy I assume you have enough experience to assist me with another question

usually, after removing ceiling clads in pine what do you usually find? boards? cement? panels?

is it possible to plaster straight after or do you usually put some panels before re-plastering?

many thanks

Normally I have found just the ceiling /floor joists which makes it a straight-forward job of installing plasterboard and skimming which can normally be completed in just one day or 2 days at the most.

The hold-ups to that process can be additional electrical wiring for ceiling lights or the fitment of cross bracing ( noggins) to strengthen the ceiling joists or for, say a flat / apartment, additional sound proofing being added between the joists.

Having said that the last kitchen I did was huuuuge. 18ft by 15ft roughly The whole ceiling was T&G pine strip & varnished from 1971 and it took 2 weeks to complete with new wiring etc. etc. Glad to see the back of that! :D

Shame we can't put photo's up because I have them available.

Archived