glass safety in old houses

lynwood two

I don't know, but believe there are UK safety regulations (or guidance) regarding type of glass at low level height from ground and also thickness in relation to area of glass.

Try reading Building Regs Part N found here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADN_1998.pdf

I would have thought from common sense that safety of occupants should be applied same for any property,, irrespective of its age.

I don't think it is a legal requirement but if it is brought to your attention and later a person/child has a accident it could be said you had a duty of care to rectify.

Even if children aren't living in the house they could visit. You can get a safety film to stick on the glass but maybe tricky if the glass isn't flat but raised pattens. Or you could panel over the glass with a bit of 2 ply but it would need to sit in the re-sess otherwise the door wont shut and have to be rehung.

Building regulations that are currently in force now do not apply retrospectively to old (er) buldings.

However in the World of landlording and the claims culture that does exist these days for compensation in the event of an injury it would be advisable for any landlord to carry out a health and safety risk assessment of their property and that is to include glass structures like single paned framed glass doors etc.

I have just renewed my flat windows and front and rear doors I did ensure that the all the necessary regulations on the fitment of safety glass was installed plus the ground floor bedroom window was able to open beyond 90 degrees as a fire escape. This is a requirement of the building regulations that if you install new windows or doors then they must meet current safety law as defined within the building regulations which is just one reason to ensure you should always employ a FENSA registered person to undertake your replacement work because their work is checked as indeed my flat was by building control on a visit to verify the work completed.

Archived