Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral


  • Rank
    Super Senior Member

Contact Methods

  • Website URL
  • ICQ
  1. It don't need to be put into the ast about future increases. You can just increase on the any ast renewal or if periodic use a section 13 notice.
  2. I don't think it is a legal requirement but if it is brought to your attention and later a person/child has a accident it could be said you had a duty of care to rectify. Even if children aren't living in the house they could visit. You can get a safety film to stick on the glass but maybe tricky if the glass isn't flat but raised pattens. Or you could panel over the glass with a bit of 2 ply but it would need to sit in the re-sess otherwise the door wont shut and have to be rehung.
  3. Try some of the internet shopping sites.
  4. A buy-to-let landlord has won a long-running legal case against a surveyor judged to have overestimated the rental income on a new-build flat, paving the way for future challenges from other aggrieved investors. Emmett Scullion, a self-employed builder from Portsmouth, bought an apartment in Cobham, Surrey, to augment his pension. The property was valued at its asking price of £352,950 in a valuation by local surveying firm Colleys, now part of Lloyds Bank. The survey said the flat could be let for £2,000 a month. Scullion bought the apartment in 2002, based on the figures given in the valuation, but found he could let it only at about 50% of the surveyor's estimate. He sold the property in 2006 at a loss, a full year before the downturn in the housing market. He subsequently took legal action against Colleys, claiming the surveyor owed him a duty of care, and was awarded £72,000 this month. The damages cover his loss of rental income and the transaction costs of purchasing and then selling the flat. Legal experts say this could encourage other buyers to take similar action. From Residential Landlord winter 2010/11
  5. If anybody is interested you can inform the council you will only be prepared to rent the property to them if the benefit is paid direct to you. Also on take on people who have a home owning guarantor.
  6. Just serve a section 8 using grounds 8,10,11 Post/serve S8, 14 days later apply for court hearing, get hearing about 6 weeks later, go to court and get possession order 14 days later, if tenant doesnt vacate apply for court bailiff about another 14 days. The time for a hearing and bailiff depend on how busy your courts are in your area. But there is a rule that the hearing cannot be longer than 8 weeks after applying
  7. 1. If you have a guarantor you could chase them for any arrears owed 2. As soon as 2 months rent is owing you can quote regulation 95 to the council to get benefit paid direct to yourself. But with the new rules that came out in April if you write to the council explaining the situation and state you will evict unless payments made direct the council can do it now (before 2 months arrears) to safeguard the tenancy. 3 If you get payments direct it will either be 2 or 4 weekly payments (not pcm) depending on the council. 4. A tenant has the right to refuse access to the property unless a genuine emergency such as a gas leak. 5. If you want her out you need to serve a section 21 notice (correctly)or a section 8 notice using grounds 8,10,11 once the arrears get to 2 months owing. 6. You could serve a s21 and tell the tenant you wont enforce it if the arrears are paid. But don't do that in writing because a s21 is supposed to be unconditional but that is a fairly common practice. A s21 doesn't have a shelve life unless you give a new contract. My thoughts are that you serve a s21 and get council payments to yourself then try to set up a payment plan with the tenant for the arrears.
  8. You can only take possession of the property if it is 100% clear they have vacated. From my experience i would say these tenants will not move until you get a court order but go round to the property and check with the neighbors and maybe look through the window/letterbox or knock on the door. You will know if they have gone. If you think they have gone and go in make sure you take a camera and take lots and lots of photos that you couls use for evidence that they vacated such as post on mat, empty areas, rubbish etc. If they are still there you need a court order which is court form N5b and it will take about 6 weeks (give or take a week or so) to get a hearing and the judge should give a possession order 14 days later. Also write to the housing benefit section of your local council to get any benefits paid direct to yourselves. Explain you are the landlord and the tenants are xxxx in arrears. If the arrears are more than 2 months worth quote regulation 95 and the have to do it. If you have a guarantor chase them for the arrears
  9. Changing the subject slightly dont forget that if you rent out a property and all the tenants have their own contracts the council tax is legally the responsibilty of the landlord but if the tenants are all listed as joint tenants it isnt.
  10. Was that info (about the guarantor & income) on any of the paperwork before they handed over their fee? If not, or not clear i would demand it back and if they don't pay write a letter before action and go through the small claims website it wont cost much and they may just pay up due to the time it will eat up to defend and do the paperwork.
  11. I also think (on the info supplied) that the agent hasn't been all bad. Yes it looks like the communication could have been better, he also took a risk in changing the locks but you are partly to blame for just assuming the agent was to do certain things without clarification. If the heating was fixed quicker, if he didnt go on benefits, if his communication was better would have the outcome been any different?
  12. If you do make sure you have a good guarantor also and maybe a bigger deposit. But if he is lying from the start that is not good, and i wouldn't touch him. You never know part of the ccj could be rent arrears from a previous address.
  13. There are a number of issues here i have added my thoughts in bold. You need to read the T&C's you signed to clarify exactly what the agent didn't do that you paid for.
  • Create New...