Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About evolveme

  • Rank
  1. Hi The Section 21 is to terminate an AST at the end of the fixed term. You must give two months notice. You can issue a Section 21 at any time during the fixed term. You will only have problems if your tenant fails to leave once the Section 21 expires. If she has emailed you confirming her intentions and you have agreed, then it's probably a good thing that you have it in writing (emails are admissible as evidence in court). Sounds like you won't have any problems in that regard. What you might have a problem with, is if she leaves and there are issues with cleanliness, damage, unpaid bills or disconnected services. If you consume the deposit as rent (and if the deposit is properly protected in a custodial or insurance based scheme, as it should be by law) then you're not really supposed to use the deposit against rent - and what she says now may be all fine, but if she disputes the use of the deposit later, you're up sh*t creek without a paddle. It really depends on whether you want to trust the tenant to make good on her promises, or is she under so much financial pressure that she's looking for any way out? The best thing to do is stick to the standard rules - you can release her from the contract early, which would mean you haven't used the deposit and if there are damages you can still keep it to pay for them. If you're looking to re-let and don't want to pay huge fees, try going solo. There's loads of resources out there to help you so you can avoid agents fees. Failing that, try a company such as Visum Ltd. if you need any further legal help I'd suggest speaking to a local conveyancing/property solicitor. Hope it works out Alasdair Managing Consultant Evolve Property Training www.evolveme.co.uk
  2. Hi all, new round here, go easy on me XD I made a (mind bendingly long to write) submission to the CSC on the PRS yesterday and was struck by a thought - I know that most Landlords will seek to be members of a voluntary accreditation scheme such as RLA or NLA or similar - but have Landlords ever considered studying the ARLA qualification to gain an insight into the world of their agents? And conversely, have agents ever sought to be members of the RLA, NLA and other similar bodies (forgive me if I've missed some, I'm sure I have forgotten many!)? The thought behind these musings are that, far from individuals attempting one-upmanship and attempting to circumvent the law, would there be benefit in taking a step back and seeking to understand the process to eliminate misunderstandings, avoid mistakes, raise the bar and thus the standard and make the Private Rental Sector a much happier stress free place? Could it even be argued that TENANTS might want to take an ARLA exam? You can do the exams, and study the materials, no problem.....might be some membership hiccups but that doesn't diminish the fact that it has been studied and passed in any way... Interesting... thoughts?
  • Create New...