Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Everything posted by Richlist

  1. Do you think that might work ??? No, I don''t......and I'm rather concerned that your solicitor isn't providing better advice. You have told us that you have let your property to a company ie a company let. They in turn have sub let the property to the tenants and presumably you had no say in choosing those tenants or the contract details between the company and the tenants ? If so, then you are not at liberty to re arrange the tenancy agreement as you are not party to it. Only the company can do that. Its the company with whom you have a contract and its them you should be talking to. Personally I don't see why the company would want to change anything unless there is a financial incentive for them.
  2. Good stuff on here......worth a read......lots of good links http://forums.moneys...42&postcount=12
  3. No I don't.......athough adding a suitably worded clause would be easy. I don't really see that having one would be of any advantage. When a tenant rents a property the wording of a standard AST specifically states what the tenant is renting and what they are responsible for. The electricity meters/ fuses/ cabling etc forms part of the property and the AST states that they are responsible for it. I simply remind them of that responsibility when they move in / when the tenancy commences. I usually do it when I show them where the electricity meter is located and when I hand over the key to the meter access door. I see no more need to include an extra contract clause for the meter box than i would for any other part of the fabric of the building or fixture/ fitting. Its going to be an interesting few weeks now as there are a number of doors missing (not on any of my properties) and I'm going to see if I can get them sorted/ replaced by reporting to environmental health on safety grounds. Often no door means kids can poke fingers in where they shouldn't and they are exposed to the elements.
  4. Well it looks like you have wasted your money..... All you had to do was ask the lender for details of their lending criteria BEFORE applying for the mortgage, As you didn't do this and as you will be in breach of the mortgage terms should it go ahead I'm afraid the only correct course of action is to pull out of the deal and apply for another mortgage with another lender.......although its certainly not unusual for many mortgage lenders to exclude company lets of any kind
  5. HB tenants have a lower expectation than the more affluent members of society/other tenant groups and have, I'm sure, learnt to expect poor quality, low cost, rough end of the neighbourhood properties to be made available to them. Presenting clean, tidy, well decorated and maintained housing will often ensure you match or exceed the competition for the better tenants.
  6. ......... she never answered her phone but has now txed to say her electric meter door has blown off ------------it may be that the guarantor is hoping we give her notice as it frees him from his liability I have some experience with electric meter doors which I will share with you. My experience is with external electric meter doors (plastic) which are about 50cm X 70cm and house the meters and main fuse. If these doors are not closed securely a strong wind can blow them open and damage the hinges or latch or door itself. In my area the electricity companies WILL NOT repair or replace. They cost £70 to replace and I have informed all of my tenants that THEY are responsible for any damage that occours to them. Often they are located outside, on a different floor but nevertheless the tenant who is renting the property IS responsible for it. Do let us know how you get on getting the repair costs from your HB tenant.
  7. I neither like you or loathe you and I snap at everyone. I never look at the posters name, I just answer the post if I think I have something to say.
  8. The councils terms of reference that they use to determine how they categorise work......urgent or otherwise.... must surely be available. Have you asked for a copy ? In your shoes I'd want to understand, in detail, how the decision to allocate a cat 1 hazard to your issue was made. In my opinion......if there are clear guidelines that they work to you will have difficulty defending your position.....if its a judgement made by a council employee you may have a chance to fight your corner.
  9. The problem with the 'looks like she's vanished' situations is that often the landlord doesn't consider the possibilities of ........holidays, illness, hospital admitance, police custody, visiting relatives, new boyfriend etc etc. Don't be to hasty with your assumptions!
  10. Melboy, Thats all very well but, the question was not about you or your experiences, it was asked if the landlord is legally required to get involved. I'm sure many landlords have used their common sense and had a quiet word in a tenants ear about complaints and resolved misunderstandings amicably but there is still no legal requirement to do so. The danger that I have heard of many times is novice landlords getting involved, not knowing when to back away and just ending up digging a big hole into which they often fall.
  11. Can anyone tell me if I legally need to get involved if a neighbour complains to me about noise from my tenant? Is this just a neighbour dispute and they should sort it out themselves? Well, lets not beat around the bush here...................... The answers you have recieved so far are somewhat inaccurate. Its totally WRONG to advise anyone that they SHOULD get involved. There is NO legal requirement for you to get involved in neighbour disputes of any kind. Any involvement is purely optional, an approach needs to be handled with extreme caution and is best avoided.
  12. I still don't see how that increases security. I've never changed locks on entry/ exit doors in over 10 years and 100's of tenants and never had a security issue. Perhaps what you are suggesting is just another disadvantage of letting to HB tenants ?
  13. There might not be a 'best' way of tackling the situation. If it were me I'd.....read any contracts or agreements between myself and the council to ensure they haven't got a contractural right to do what they have done. THEN, I'd refuse to pay and wait for them to take me to court for the outstanding bill. You could always take formal legal opinion before deciding on any action. THEN....I'd drop all future plans to let to HB tenants in the future.HB seem to be a problem for you and others and your local authority are not people I'd want to be having business deaings with.dealing
  14. Go thru Small Claims Court if the agent is difficult.......bet they offer to settle before it gets any where near the court.
  15. If only a landlords lot was as simple as that. 1) The ability to communicate (specifically in English) is a major requirement for landlords and tenants. As you don't consider it necessary, I can only assume that either you don't let property or if you do then, you have not had a need to communicate with a non English speaking tenant. 2) Whilst a strong motivation to keep ones job and a roof over ones head are commendable attributes they are not enough to qualify an applicant for any rental property, let alone one of Grampa''s! Is your post meant to be a joke ? Are you serious or just trying to wind me up ?
  16. These responses seem RIDICULOUS to me:....... Mahindra = If a landlord was to draw up a priority list of the most important factors for determining a suitable tenant........having a long term tenant would come way down my list. It would certainly be less important than.....someone who could afford the rent, look after the property, minimise w&t, be low risk, provide guarantees, not result in extra expense/ decoration/ repairs etc etc. LAW = 'Language'' should not be an issue ? Are you kidding me ? Someone who can't speak English is a MAJOR problem.
  17. well i have read that link and it doesnt help. Tough. You asked for advice....I offered it. You could keep looking in the hope of finding an answer that suits you better......but I'm not sure you will find it. As for me.......I'm out. Goodbye.
  18. Uncollected Goods.......see here for legal position: http://www.landlordzone.co.uk/uncollected_goods.htm
  19. No checks been done yet and I know some of you guys wouldn’t consider either (no names mentioned) for you properties. Yes, I'm one of those that wouldn't accept either because:- No 1 * is under 25....always higher risk * has young children.....can be high W&T * is on HB.....I always avoid * is probably not working......I only take working (full time) tenants No 2 * Poor English......means problems when you need to communicate * Family arrive from Indonesia...... will presumably NOT be working * 6 months rent in advance....... can be very problematic. Make sure you get rent guarantee insurance if you don't get a HOME OWNING guarantor.
  20. Personally I don't but, I know of landlords that do. If you have had a particularly difficult tenant(s) and terminating the tenancy has been strained then its probably a good idea. The costs of spare locks along with any spare keys are tax deductable and can usually be used on any other properties you may have.
  21. Well, if its all the same to you I'm happy to continue to believe that ALL HB tenants are worse than bad. Well done you if you have found them OK.......but I'm not about to change my opinion or let them anywhere near my valuable property assets. As I always tell them if they enquire.......there are plenty of landlords who are not so particular and who are happy to carry the extra risk.......I guess you must be one of them.
  22. My understanding is that the law says that a tenant with a tenancy agreement of 12 months or more CAN change to an energy supplier of their choice without needing the landlords permission. Tenancy agreements of less than 12 months only require a landlords permission to change supplier if stated in the agreement.
  • Create New...