Jump to content


  • Content Count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

0 Neutral

About lesleyd

  • Rank
  1. Silly me ! Yes of course it is an AST - I was not aware of the special definition of 'sitting tenant' - As far as selling with vacant possession is concerned, I would (call me sentimental !) rather not move the tenant on because of her very advanced age and reliability. Anyone in the rental business might be glad of just such a tenant and I did hope that I could sell without the need to cause her any hassle. If I do not find anyone interested, then I shall just leave things as they are until it does become vacant. I am in no great rush.
  2. Maybe I am using the wrong terminology - excuse my ignorance. The current tenant has a 6 month short term contract which expires 3rd August 2010.
  3. I own a good terrace property in the small market town of Spilsby Lincolnshire, (nice area close to shops & PO). It currently has a sitting tenant who has lived there since 2006 on 6 month short term agreements. I have managed the property myself without difficulty since 1996 and found no shortage of tenants in that time. The current tenant has never failed to pay rent on time, currently at £85.00 weekly (£4420.00pa). I am considering selling, as I am planning to move further away. If anyone is interested in this nice steady investment, offers circa £90,000 for quick completion, please contact me (Lesley) for further details (contact details at http://www.lawnbowls.com/lbcontrol/pages/getme.html)
  4. Hi Preston - Thank you for that - I must admit this fellow's accusations were making me feel quite sick. I have always taken care of my tenants and my property - it is an investment which I cannot afford to let deteriorate and my tenant is good and reliable. I would not have been researching ways and means of getting her boiler sorted if I had no intention of looking after her welfare. Lesley
  5. My tenant HAS a warm and comfortable home Mark, and she is grateful that I am able and willing to provide that for her. Your reference to 'properties' is inaccurate. I am not some property magnate - I only have the one property If the boiler should fail then I would have to make a decision, until then she is fine, warm and happy. Maybe then I should take your advice and sell up and let her go back to another cockroach ridden flat such as she was in before - that is if she could find one as the is a dearth of rental properties in that area - I am sure she would, in that event, be really grateful for your, so constructive, opinion. May I remind you that I asked for advice - not some ill informed and rude opinion which is helpful to no-one, least of all my tenant. Lesley
  6. That is an uncalled for comment Mark ! The boiler was tested and found to have a very small water leak AFTER I had just spent £3500 on the property. It not only PASSED its Landlord Check but is not in an unsafe condition. I would also state that the house is in a very good condition otherwise and I maintain it to the highest standards. I am merely trying to anticipate a possible failure and find the least expensive approach to its possible need for repair/replacement in the near future. As I said I am a pensioner myself and not rolling in r'eadies'. A new boiler is not 'just a few pounds' to me. As they will not replace the boiler in its current popsition, considerable pipework is necessary. Quotes I have had have been in the region of £2400.00. I am facing considerable difficulty to fund this. Perhaps you'd prefer that I sold the property and let my tenant take her chances elsewhere? I am doing the best I can to look after her welfare. (by the way, it was the Warm Front rep who told me that I needed a 'long term' tenancy agreement stand a chance of getting the boiler work done) Lesley
  7. I have an elderly tenant (80+) who is partially sighted in my property. She has applied for Warm Front assistance. The property has a back boiler with a gas fire in front fitted in the chimney recess feeding the central heating system. The boiler has developed a slight leak in its water tank, discovered during a recent Landlord's Certificate gas check, but no boiler engineer will repair or fit a replacement (although new versions of these are still available to buy quite cheaply on Ebay) - insisting that they are only allowed now to supply a new and separate (ie not in the chimney) condensing boiler. I am advised that the extent of the help she can claim via Warm Front vis-a-vis the boiler, seems to depend on her having a 'long term' tenancy agreement. She has occupied the property as a good tenant since August 2006 on a Short Term Assured Tenancy Agreement which I renew every six months. I am happy for her to stay in the property indefinitely at present, but am worried that if my circumstances change, that under a long term tenancy, I would be unable to cease letting and regain possession in order to sell, or even, perhaps, to use the property for my own occupation should the need arise. I have already spent in excess of a year's rent on the property this summer on updating outer doors and access for her. As a pensioner myself I am dependant on the rental income from this property. Can anyone advise me :- 1) on the pro and cons short term v long term tenancy agreements in relation to my own protection. 2) any experience of Warm Front assistance allowed to your own tenants would be of interest - she is apparently being capped at £2700. (any balance over which I have to agree to pay - and the warm front person seems to be intent on spending that amount on less immediate things - like double glazing two small windows - the only ones in the property not already double glazed and fitting an enclosed solid fuel fire and sleeving the chimney in the front room - where there is currently an open fireplace.) I have heard of people getting up to £15,000. of work done on their own homes under this scheme ! Am I missing something ? 3) where can I get a draft copy of a longer term agreement if I choose this route. Help Appreciated !
  • Create New...