Jump to content

Easy Property


Water line break - who pays water bill

  • Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 pmb



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 February 2009 - 07:49 PM

My tenant found that there was a leak in the water line to the house, which has resulted in a $1300 bill. No obvious evidence of the leak was known until the water company notified her. She's been told by some people that she's only responsible for the 'regular amount' of her bill, and I'm expected to pick up the rest. Any thoughts on this?

#2 vinvin



  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 11:53 AM

Firstly have you discussed with the water board as to there course of action? regarding the situation and bill. Where was the leak if within your property line, you i feel sure will be responsible, not the tenant as you have failed to maintain, albeit it something that could not be forseen.

Sad fact of life sometimes, however the conselation will be it will both be tax deductable.

#3 Mortitia


    Super Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 12:46 PM

Unless your tenant in some way interferred with the supply pipe to the house and caused the pipe to leak you are responsible. Like Vin says ask for details from the water company of how they knew and details of the repair.

Could it be that the pipe is old or maybe made of lead and so has reached the end of its serviceable life? If so it is down to you and all part of maintenance or maybe you could claim on your buildings insurance - check the policy.

Good Luck,

#4 rodent


    Super Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,423 posts

Posted 06 February 2009 - 03:21 PM

If leak is close to mains connection it could be argued that it is a water co problem, this happened to friend of mine, it was leaking on connection to main (customer side) but water co took responsibilty for it.

The location and cause of the leak need to be determined b4 you can go any further, only T problem if they have tampered with and caused leak.

The Rodent

#5 sherllin



  • Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 07:42 AM

First you should talk to your tenant, discuss the matter calmly. you can call or contact with a water damage repair company to fix your problem. so that you will not going face this kind of situation again.

Good luck

Discussing and sharing information on water damage repair.

#6 Chestnut


    Super Senior Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 15 June 2010 - 09:05 AM


Useful advice, but as a newcomer to this site did you look at the previous last date of this thread? 6th Feb 2009!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users