Water line break - who pays water bill

philib

My tenant found that there was a leak in the water line to the house, which has resulted in a $1300 bill. No obvious evidence of the leak was known until the water company notified her. She's been told by some people that she's only responsible for the 'regular amount' of her bill, and I'm expected to pick up the rest. Any thoughts on this?

Firstly have you discussed with the water board as to there course of action? regarding the situation and bill. Where was the leak if within your property line, you i feel sure will be responsible, not the tenant as you have failed to maintain, albeit it something that could not be forseen.

Sad fact of life sometimes, however the conselation will be it will both be tax deductable.

Hi,

Unless your tenant in some way interferred with the supply pipe to the house and caused the pipe to leak you are responsible. Like Vin says ask for details from the water company of how they knew and details of the repair.

Could it be that the pipe is old or maybe made of lead and so has reached the end of its serviceable life? If so it is down to you and all part of maintenance or maybe you could claim on your buildings insurance - check the policy.

Good Luck,

Mortitia

If leak is close to mains connection it could be argued that it is a water co problem, this happened to friend of mine, it was leaking on connection to main (customer side) but water co took responsibilty for it.

The location and cause of the leak need to be determined b4 you can go any further, only T problem if they have tampered with and caused leak.

The Rodent

• 1 year later...

Archived