Jump to content

All Activity

This stream auto-updates     

  1. Yesterday
  2. Last week
  3. Hi forum folk We're MOHARA, a product design agency based in Brighton. We're helping a client to create a product that will help landlords to manage multiple mortgages. We're looking for UK people with 2 or more mortgages to take part in our study in exchange for a £35 Amazon voucher. It will only take about 45 minutes over a video call and we're running sessions this week. Please respond to this short survey to get the ball rolling. No data will be stored or used for marketing or any other purposes. Thanks in advance for your help Kate MOHARA design team
  4. Thanks. There's a lot of talk of eviction but our problem is sadly that he isn't here...
  5. Richlist

    VAT cut

    My understanding is that the VAT cut to 5% only applies to hospitality & tourism (including holiday accomodation)......extended until 31st March 2021.
  6. kanrent

    VAT cut

    Hi does anyone know about the VAT cut, my letting agent still charges me the usual 20% Vat
  7. Earlier
  8. Tradespeople are not required to wear masks it's optional and he is there to do a job of work. Its the tenants job to keep out of his way and to maintain a minimum of 2 metres between them. Tenants ! It's always somebody else's fault. They are responsible for their own safety.
  9. Things get worse. Turns out the engineer didn't 'remember' to test the 5 Call Points. Or sign the Fire Blankets to confirm they had been checked. The Emergency Lighting was switched off, then back on after a couple of minutes to check they stayed on with battery power. All was down as work completed on Certificate. Now, to cap it all one of my tenants has complained as the engineer did not wear a mask. Who'd be a flipping landlord!! Paul PS; am a 20% taxpayer as the income from my/our 7 properties are shared with wife, for exactly that purpose. Have been a residential landlord since 1984, when my father passed away. It's not about the money. It's as Grampa says; I need to know my arse is well and trully covered.
  10. Ok 20% taxpayer. Alarm checked twice a year @ £100+vat x2 = £230 deduct 20% = £184/4 = £46 per flat Sounds like a total bargain to me.......not worth trying to do yourself. Go worry about something more important. 😃
  11. I've always used a standing order on the assumption that direct debits are not available to individuals. Never had much of a problem with missed payments when using a standing order. Are you trying to fix a problem that doesn't exist ? Or do you have an existing problem that a change to a direct debit won't fix ? If the tenant doesn't have sufficient income to pay the rent, it ain't gonna be paid irrespective of the method you set up. What you need is a backup........either rent guarantee insurance &/or a home owning guarantor. Have you got either of those ?
  12. Has anyone any experience in collecting rent from tenants using Direct Debit opposed to Standing Order? From what i understand, with Direct Debit the payee (landlord) is in control, rather than the payor (tenant). Just like when paying utilities. Could be a good way to minimize missed payments during covid-19. Does anyone know of any services available?
  13. I think you are overthinking this. Regarding "must' be done & by 'whom" is immaterial the question is, what you need to do to cover your arse if something goes pear shaped because the potential liability and claim against you could be huge if you get it wrong including prison. Your definition of competent may be vastly different to some clever dick barrister in a court. So why not put that responsibility on the heads of an appropriate company and you can sleep soundly.
  14. Have done some 'Googling' & come up with this... "UK fire alarm regulations 5839 only state that your fire alarm system must be 'adequately maintained', however BS 5839 recommends that a fire alarm system should be inspected by a competent person at least every 6 months and the government recommends following this standard" This seems to me to be a good bit vague; 'Recommends, should, adequately maintained, competent person.' Am finding it difficult to get to the bottom of what 'must' be done & by 'whom'..... Paul
  15. Actually, i just noticed after 15 years of Annual services the company say i now need to have it done every 6 months. So they have ramped their fee's up & also have to come twice a year now I have asked for clarification & the relevant regulation. Do any of you know about a possible new 'rule' here at all? Rich: not 40% Paul
  16. Would agree completely with the last 2 replies Thankyou all again
  17. You may be paying £195 inc vat but you can claim that as a business expense and if you are a 40% taxpayer the real cost to you is £117. Makes it look like a bargain.
  18. I believe that is correct however I look at it with the view that if I instruct a suitable company to do the risk assessment and there is a incident and as long as I have complied with the assessment my liability (i like to think) is greatly mitigated.
  19. I have certainly noticed their charges ticking up these last couple of years too. £100 +vat to go round each flat testing each detector. (3 per flat) 15 in all with stairway. Takes about 45 minutes. This year, they said they had to replace the two 12v 3.2amp batteries in the control panel. Nothing wrong with them, but they have to be replaced after so many years. £30 each. (£13 delivered off ebay). Turn the emergency lightinh on & off. Total £195 inc VAT Seems a lot for 1 hour max. But looking another way i get £21,000 annual rental from that property, so it's peace of mind i guess....
  20. You can do this risk assessment yourself. I do similar annually on a block of 4 . Keeping the log is key. I bet some fire safety company comes on here now saying different but I have yet to see any legislation on it.
  21. IF this guy was truly a lodger then why did live in landlord not spot the damage and boot him out earliest? Lodgers rarely have £1000 in deposit paid. Are you sure this is not an AST?
  22. What you describe is pretty much what i have been doing actually. The BAFE certified company visit once a year to do the test & have been doing so for over 15 years. They also check the extinguishers & give advise re regulatiob updates. Plus i have my own Fire Log. Thanyou for your swift reply Paul
  23. If you have had a fire risk assessment done (which i assume you have) it should have some recommendations/guidance if not get one done. Not only do you have a duty of care to the occupiers you need to also cover yourself and any liability if there is a fire. If it was me I would instruct an approved company who do testing/servicing to initially service the system and take their advise on ongoing testing. But be clear with your questions to them about what is legally required and what is good practice. Then get a service plan in place with the company which may be 1, 2, or 4 visits per year which will be documented. Learn how to test the system yourself which isnt hard and the fire company will also show you how and you can add these test also to the log book.
  24. Can anyone advise. I have a block of 4 flats which have a mains wired fire alarm system installed; all detectore & call points are linked to a main control box. Question is, am i required to have the system tested annually by an approved installer? I do monthly tests myself & enter the results into a Fire Log. Thanks in advance, Paul
  25. These type of problems could occur in any type of tenancy and I would say you or or friends are not doing enough pre checks. The way to reduce the risk is to fully reference and vet the people you are allowing into your home. Having a guarantor and a detailed inventory signed in advance by the tenant is also a must. If lettings agents can make deductions from deposits quite successfully and legally after the tenancy has ended and they have all the problems and restrictions that surround deposit protection, the question to ask yourself is "what am I doing wrong"?
  26. Yes but if you read further down the article it states: The lodger is likely to be an excluded occupier if: they live in the landlords’ home they share a kitchen, bathroom or living room with the landlord or any other household members In this case, the landlord only has to give the lodger reasonable notice to end the letting, known as a ‘notice to quit’ and they do not have to go to court to evict them. The ‘notice to quit’ does not have to be in writing, but it is recommended that landlords provide the lodger with a formal notice to quit stating when they must leave. This is to prevent the lodger claiming they were never asked to leave an eliminating any communication errors. The notice to quit is usually the length of the rental payment period – so, if the lodger pays rent on a weekly basis, the landlord must give the lodger one weeks’ notice to leave the property. After this period, the landlord can change the locks on the property, even if the lodger has left their belongings there. The landlord must give the belongings back to the lodger without giving the lodger access the property. For lodgers of this kind, the landlord does not need a court order to evict the lodger.
  1. Load more activity
  • Create New...